Embossing Leather with the Silhouette Curio
In this step-by-step video class we will emboss on leather using the Curio.
Embossing Leather with the Curio Overview
Join me in this step-by-step video course of setting up the Silhouette Curio & Silhouette software to emboss on tooling leather and cut around the design.
Supplies used in this class are:
- Silhouette Curio small cutting mat
- Silhouette Curio Fine Embossing tip (white embossing tool)
- Silhouette Curio small base with ALL platforms – please double check that you have all the platforms – a 2+2+1 and cutting mat – we will be using all of them
- Silhouette black ratchet blade - Silhouette America or Amazon - you want to keep a dedicated Leather blade as it will not cut other materials the same after using it on leather
Designs (click on the name to go to the design used):
- Flower by Wild Pilot - Design #274519
- Leaf Messy Circle Monogram by Lilium Pixel SVG - Design #273614
- Modern Script Font by Gina Marshall - Design #153466
- Key fob and earring template by Silhouette Secrets+ - download in next course section
- Sharp pair of scissors – large size - I used these Wescott Titanium Scissors
- Crop-o-dile hole punch or Leather punch
- Jewelry pliers or other tool to add jump rings to earrings - Craft Chameleon or hardware store
- ReaLeather Veg Tanned Leather – Amazon or Hobby Lobby - make sure that it is tooling leather that you are using. Leather that has been treated or finished will not emboss
- Tandy Leather Crafttool Circle Edge Slicker or other leather slicker
- Eco-Flo Gel Antique Leather Dye – Tan
- Neat-Lac Leather Finish
- Wool dauber
- Scrap cloth - old t-shirt cut up
- Earring hardware: jump rings & fish hook
- Key rings
- Rivets - do not get cheap ones or they just bend - Tandy Leather rivets or Screw rivets
- Rivet setter (not needed if purchase screw rivets)
- Rubber end Hammer (not needed if purchase screw rivets)
- Fine Mist Sprayer or water bottle
- Paper towels, rubber gloves
- Protecto Film or other sticky contact paper that holds well to protect your cutting mat
Please note that the Curio retreat projects & class notes have been designed and tested with the designs, fonts, and supplies listed above.
Substituting designs & supplies may not have the same results as those in the class notes. This is especially important for the designs & the tooling leather. Tooling leather can vary by brand in weight and thickness. The only way to know what works is to test it.
Class Supplies List
Basics of the Curio video - 38 minutes
Leather Embossing with the Silhouette Curio Video Course - 1 hour 56 minutes
- Part 1 - Setup of the design in the Silhouette software using the Emboss Panel for the earrings & key fob design
- Part 1.1 - Embossing & cutting the design on tooling leather with the Curio
- Part 2 - Final cuts and burnish of the leather key fob and earrings
- Part 3 - Leather dying & final assembly of hardware
My name is EllyMae and I am the owner of Silhouette Secrets+.
I am a wife, mother, and lover of all things wine (as you'll notice in my projects & posts). I won a Silhouette Portrait in 2013 and the first time I used it, I knew I needed the bigger Cameo. At that time, there was not much information out there, but I found what I could and learned by testing & creating things. I love to learn new things that can be done with the Silhouette machines and have turned that into teaching others what I love to do.
I was encouraged by many to start teaching classes and when the TJC Instructor Program was announced in 2016, I signed up. It was one of the best decisions I've made and have met so many great friends & colleagues just because I took a chance. I now teach private lessons & local classes in the Northern Virginia area. I have also had the privilege to be on staff for the Curio Intensive Retreat in June 2017, staff at the All Things Silhouette Conference June 2017, Nov 2017, staff & an instructor at the ATS Conference in Nov 2018, June 2019, November 2019, Virtual ATS 2020, and the instructor at 2 virtual Curio events in 2020. I love to continue expanding my knowledge of what these amazing machines & software can do.
I look forward to sharing the love of Silhouette with all of you and welcome you on this journey!
You can find me on Facebook or my website:
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/SilhouetteSecretsplus/
Facebook Group: Silhouette Secrets+ with EllyMae
StartEmbossing Leather with the Curio Class Overview
StartLeather Embossing with the Curio Class Supplies
StartFiles to download - Leather Embossing
StartBasics of the Curio & Emboss Panel (38:48)
StartCurio Mat Orientation Information for Silhouette v4.4 software versions
StartLeather Embossing Video Class - Part 1 (78:00)
StartLeather Embossing with the Curio - Part 2 (8:06)
StartLeather Embossing with the Curio - Part 3 (31:20)