Etched Acrylic Decor with the Curio
In this step-by-step video class we will set up the Curio for etching on acrylic and cutting with the Curio too! Create amazing décor projects with your Silhouette Curio machine.
In this video class we will not only etch on acrylic with the Curio, but I will also share how to cut materials on the Curio as well. I will be sharing some "secrets" and tips on adding adhesive vinyl to etched projects to not only add color and dimension to your etched projects, but also help in the symmetry and success of a good etch on a round object.
Join me in creating a unique Beach Blessing décor.
- Silhouette Curio machine
- Silhouette Etching tool – use code 10OFF to save 10% at Silhouette America
- Silhouette black blade (ratchet) or premium blade – if cutting vinyl with the Curio
- (2) Silhouette Curio cutting mats – Very important! – 1 mat for cutting & 1 mat for etching
**Cutting adhesive vinyl can also be done on a Cameo or Portrait, but the class will show cutting with the Curio
- Double sided tape from Craft Chameleon
- Beach Blessing design by Deborah Stine – Design #62386
- Rope Frames Circle by Snapdragon Snippets – Design #30736
- Curio Etching Kit by Craft Chameleon
Kit includes: (3) 5” Round Acrylic discs, (1) Curio Etching 5” round template, (1) Diamond Tip Reamer, (1) twine, (3) 6”x 6” adhesive vinyl – random colors/patterns
- Transfer Tape
Optional: Adhesive vinyl of color choice
Digital Calipers - highly recommend
Etched Acrylic Décor Video Class Content -
- Supplies used in class
- Platform stack for cutting vs etching
- Lining up blank if not using a template
- Setting up the Curio for etching acrylic
- Measuring the acrylic blank
- Setting up the Silhouette Studio software for etching
- Orientation bug and how to work with it
- Working with a template file
- Autotrace discussion and tips
- Layers Panel - Designer Edition or higher upgrade feature
- Creating an alignment template for etching
- Scale tools
- Adding design & scaling
- Tips on aligning & scaling design for etching success
- Adding additional design elements to project
- Adding an emboss/etch fill
- Tips on data and processing time
- Etching on the acrylic
- Adding an Etch setting
- Tips on cleaning the etching
- Demo of a bad etch
- Setting up the Curio for cutting
- Supplies for cutting adhesive vinyl
- Bonus: tips on not wasting the center of the shape using Cut by Line Color
- Test cuts & blade depth adjustments
- Removing materials from a cutting mat
- Weeding design & applying adhesive vinyl to the acrylic blank
- and more!!!
Find additional Curio classes on my Teachable site here: https://silhouette-secrets.teachable.com/courses
My name is EllyMae and I am the owner of Silhouette Secrets+.
I am a wife, mother, and lover of all things wine (as you'll notice in my projects & posts).I have been a Silhouette user for the past 9+ years, teaching Silhouette users since September 2016, and am one of the top Silhouette troubleshooters world-wide. As an instructor I teach all levels of Silhouette classes for Portrait, Cameo, and Curio users. My focus is on the personalized instruction of the software and educating users to explore all that can be done in the Silhouette Studio software. I have been teaching at Silhouette & Terri Johnson Creates events since June of 2017 including the Curio Intensive, ATS Conferences, Curio Virtual Retreats, Instructor Licensing Events, at Silhouette America HQ, and hands on workshops. I love being able to share Silhouette with others!
I look forward to sharing the love of Silhouette with all of you and welcome you on this journey!
Find me here:
Silhouette Secrets+ Facebook Page
Silhouette Secrets+ with EllyMae Facebook Group
Online Silhouette Classes on Teachable: https://silhouette-secrets.teachable.com/courses