Embossing Leather with the Silhouette Curio
In this step-by-step video class we will emboss on leather using the Curio.Enroll in Course
Embossing Leather with the Curio Overview
Join me in this step-by-step video course of setting up the Silhouette Curio & Silhouette software to emboss on tooling leather and cut around the design.
Supplies used in this class are:
- Silhouette Curio small cutting mat
- Silhouette Curio Fine Embossing tip (white embossing tool)
- Silhouette Curio small base with ALL platforms – please double check that you have all the platforms – a 2+2+1 and cutting mat – we will be using all of them
- Silhouette black ratchet blade - Silhouette America or Crafter Cuts - you want to keep a dedicated Leather blade as it will not cut other materials the same after using it on leather
Designs (click on the name to go to the design used):
- Flower by Wild Pilot - Design #274519
- Leaf Messy Circle Monogram by Lilium Pixel SVG - Design #273614
- Modern Script Font by Gina Marshall - Design #153466
- Key fob and earring template by Silhouette Secrets+ - download in next course section
- Sharp pair of scissors – large size - I used these Wescott Titanium Scissors
- Crop-o-dile hole punch or Leather punch
- Jewelry pliers or other tool to add jump rings to earrings - Craft Chameleon or hardware store
- ReaLeather Veg Tanned Leather – Amazon or Hobby Lobby - make sure that it is tooling leather that you are using. Leather that has been treated or finished will not emboss
- Tandy Leather Crafttool Circle Edge Slicker or other leather slicker
- Eco-Flo Gel Antique Leather Dye – Tan
- Neat-Lac Leather Finish
- Wool dauber
- Scrap cloth - old t-shirt cut up
- Earring hardware: jump rings & fish hook
- Key rings
- Rivets - do not get cheap ones or they just bend - Tandy Leather rivets or Screw rivets
- Rivet setter (not needed if purchase screw rivets)
- Rubber end Hammer (not needed if purchase screw rivets)
- Fine Mist Sprayer or water bottle
- Paper towels, rubber gloves
- Protecto Film or other sticky contact paper that holds well to protect your cutting mat
Please note that the Curio retreat projects & class notes have been designed and tested with the designs, fonts, and supplies listed above.
Substituting designs & supplies may not have the same results as those in the class notes. This is especially important for the designs & the tooling leather. Tooling leather can vary by brand in weight and thickness. The only way to know what works is to test it.
Class Supplies List
Basics of the Curio video - 38 minutes
Leather Embossing with the Silhouette Curio Video Course - 1 hour 56 minutes
- Part 1 - Setup of the design in the Silhouette software using the Emboss Panel for the earrings & key fob design
- Part 1.1 - Embossing & cutting the design on tooling leather with the Curio
- Part 2 - Final cuts and burnish of the leather key fob and earrings
- Part 3 - Leather dying & final assembly of hardware
Find additional Curio classes on my Teachable site here: https://silhouette-secrets.teachable.com/courses/c...
Join me in creating unique leather projects with the Silhouette Curio!
Get started now!
Welcome! My name is EllyMae and I am the owner and Instructor behind Silhouette Secrets+.
I have been in the cutting machine industry now for almost 20 years with experience in several different brands of machines and products. In 2016, after attending the TJC Licensed Instructor program, I started teaching Silhouette users how they can get to know their Silhouette Studio software and machines. I had no idea where this interest in Silhouette would take me.
I have taught Silhouette users all over the world through both in-person events and online. I have also become one of the top troubleshooters for Silhouette issues worldwide through my experience as an instructor. I am not just an instructor though, I am a craft machine user and I LOVE creating with all kinds of materials.
As an instructor I teach all levels of Silhouette classes for Portrait, Cameo, and Curio users. I love being able to share Silhouette with others!
I look forward to sharing the love of Silhouette with you all and welcome you on this journey!
Find me here:
Silhouette Secrets+ Facebook Page
Silhouette Secrets+ with EllyMae Facebook Group
Online Silhouette Classes on Teachable: https://silhouette-secrets.teachable.com/courses